Sunday, August 21, 2011

Bow tie Tutorial...

For whatever reason, I adore Reddington in a bow tie.  In his short 2.5 years he's worn his share, already!  It is a very inexpensive little accessory that a boy can wear.  I suppose that's why it's my "go to" item to dress him up.  I have purchased a few for him through etsy
According to Wikipedia, "The bow tie originated among Croatian mercenaries during the Prussian wars of the 17th century: the Croat mercenaries used a scarf around the neck to hold together the opening of their shirts. This was soon adopted by the upper classes in France, then a leader in fashion, and flourished in the 18th and 19th centuries...It is well understood in the legal profession, among older attorneys, or those who still read into a man's appearance, that a man who wears bow-ties regularly is not to be trusted; he thinks too far outside the box."
Interesting, huh?! Let's hope my boy can be trusted!  ;)
Early August we decided to have some new pictures made & I had the idea to make a bow tie for him.  There was no time to place an order as I needed it/made it the same day as the photo shoot.  Nothing like last minute! The best part: I used material on hand which led to me turning my Grandma Twyla's apron into Reddington's new Bow tie.  It was so fun to transform something of hers into something for my son. 

To re-fresh your memory, here are a couple of pictures of my boy in a Bow tie:



{Apron turned Bow tie}
Last Minute Bow tie Tutorial:


I used a Bow tie that I had purchased awhile back as an example:


Cut & Fold



Cinch w/ fingers:


Tie w/ extra piece of fabric:



Use 'alligator clip' from red Bow tie to make do:



Done in 10 minutes or less!


This is a close-up of my top for the photos.  The Bow tie was perfect- - - free & not too match-y match-y!


You can catch this Bow tie in action here.

No comments: