Timeline of Events =
11.15.12: Signed & mailed "Permanency Commitment By Foster Parent" also known as "Commit to Adopt"
12.05.12: The Birth Parents' goal was changed in Court from "Reunification" to "Substitute Care Pending Court Determination of Termination of Parental Rights."
The Birth Mom & I had some deep conversation while waiting for our Court Case to be called. There were 32 Cases that day so we had no idea how long we may have to wait. Everyone shows up at 9 a.m. & just waits as long as it takes. Typically we wait about 1-1.5 hours. The 2 main things she asked me about were Open Adoption & whether or not we're an adoptive home. I reassured her in both areas: Yes, we would be willing to communicate with her & send updates as Milannah grows up. And, yes, we're willing to adopt so Milannah wouldn't be going anywhere should their parental rights be terminated.
The Birth Mom cried a lot during Court & the Judge even offered her Kleenex! This is the Birth Parents very first experience w/ this process. In the past, they've voluntarily surrendered their parental rights & didn't have to go to Court. This time, they are choosing to "fight." Some of the things the Judge said to them were about failing to make reasonible progress toward returning their child home, he explained the process stating that DCFS is responsible for convincing with evidence that the parents are unfit, he even said that there are instability concerns and that they are very late in the game to earn their daughter back. The Judge said that he's happy to listen to the evidence and if they want to salvage their parental rights, it isn't too late. *Visits w/ Milannah were changed from 1/week to 1/month. We left immediately & did not talk to anyone when Court ended.
1.09.13: Status Hearing: (Opportunity for Birth Parents to surrender their parental rights.) Birth Parents did not show up for Court. The Birth Mom had left a message at her lawyer's office saying she was "ill." There was no mention of the Birth Father. The Judge continued the case to the following Wednesday.
1.16.13: Status Hearing: (Same purpose as 1.09.13) Birth Parents did show up for Court. Birth Mom reported that she had tried getting ahold of her Lawyer & had no response. Judge continued Court until 1.30.13. He told the entire Court Room that on that day if Birth Parents do not surrender, then a date will be set for a Termination Hearing/Trial.
1.23.13: Birth Parents had their 1/month visit with Milannah scheduled for 12-3 p.m. At 12 o'clock they called & cancelled. They saw her on 1.16.13 for a 1 hour "make-up" visit & other than that, they hadn't seen her since her birthday (12.17.12).
1.30.13: Birth Parents were given a THIRD attempt to surrender their parental rights. I didn't take off work as we were told that if the Birth Parent's didn't surrender, then the Judge would issue a trial date also known as a "Fit-ness Hearing." {which we would attend} This would be where DCFS would be present the case that they are unfit parents & the Judge would then have up to 30 days after that to decide if they are "fit" or "unfit."
WELL... about 11:30 a.m. I spoke to our Caseworker. She was confused about the events at Court & said that she would confer with Milannah's Attorney & the DCFS Attorney and that I should call her at 4 p.m. I called her at 3:55 because I was so anxious & had to leave her a voicemail. Since it was Reddington's Birthday Party, I was a wee bit busy, to say the least, running around during my 1 hour at home to bathe Milannah, ice cupcakes, dress both kids, freshen up, etc... We got to the restaurant & I noticed I had a missed call & message from the Caseworker. I set up the party and after we all ordered, I headed to the restroom with my phone in hand. Here's what I heard:
"Hi Megan, it's Janice. I know you are getting ready for Reddington's Birthday Party so I want to say Happy Birthday Reddington. I wanted you to know that I consulted with the DCFS Attorney along with Milannah's Attorney & they both clarified & confirmed with me that the parents were found to have defaulted, they were found "unfit" to parent, & their Parental Rights were terminated!"
My heart was pounding. Remember: I was still in the restaurant bathroom! I returned to the table & said right away, "The Birth Parents Parental Rights were terminated TODAY!" It was a wonderful moment with both of our families gathered. Lots of relief & a few tears followed the announcement.
Sharing the news: I sent a text message to a few close friends/family members during dinner that simply said this: "The greatest news of our lives... Parental Rights TERMINATED! The Lord is faithful!"
Once we arrived home, I posted this message on facebook:
"WELL.... tonight at his party, Reddington had his 1st "opportunity" to share the spotlight w/ the princess of the house! With our families gathered for his party we rejoiced & cried together as we received the news we have been praying for this past 384 days. Due to the Birth Parents failure to appear in Court, the Judge chose to bypass the trial & proceed w/ the Termination of Parental Rights.
It's the GREATEST JOY OF MY LIFE to say that Milannah Joy will become a part of our FOREVER family!
Jan. 30, 13: God performed a miracle today. We're ready to shout it from the rooftops & declare the goodness of the Lord!

What's next? 2.20.13: The Birth Parents will have a "Permanency Hearing." At this time, Milannah's goal will be changed to ADOPTION. We will hear from our Caseworker before this hearing to wrap up loose ends & we will be switched over to an Adoption Worker who will do our paperwork. We are praying that her Adoption takes place in March or April.
The Lord is still working out the details of the rest of our journey to make her ours forever... STAY TUNED!





1 comment:
Gave me goosebumps! So happy for you all. :)
Post a Comment