Friday, April 29, 2011

Foster Adventures: PART I

" The Honeymoon "

The Thursday before Easter, April 21st, my friend, Kelly, Reddington, & I went to Woodfield Mall in Schaumburg for an overnight shopping trip.  This is our 2nd Spring Break doing this exact thing.  We arrived at Cheesecake Factory around 12:30 & consumed the delicious sweet bread, Fried Macaroni & Cheese, & of course - - - cheesecake! Delicious, as always! We started shopping and around 4 o'clock I thought it was time for Reddington to have a little freedom in the children's area.  The last thing I could've anticipated would be that I would receive a phone call from DCFS that afternoon.  I was following Reddington around in the "play place" that was covered in little chittlins.  And when I say covered, it was filled to the brim with kids crawling, jumping, running, you name it.  Parents everywhere- Kelly & I couldn't even sit next to each other because there wasn't a spot on the benches for both of us together. Nuts, I tell ya! While keeping an eye on Reddington I have a phone call from DCFS.  I can barely hear the gal.  She has a 5 year old boy needing placement immediately - - as in he is playing in the DCFS office in Decatur & can be at our house within minutes.  I call Nathan, wake him, & get him prepared to welcome our Foster Son within minutes.  (He usually wakes around this time, anyway.) Nathan took "N" to Wal-mart where they bought pajamas, popcorn, Yogi Bear, & an outfit with a dirt bike on it - go figure!
Fast forward to FRIDAY:  I text Nathan & he says that all is good.  By the time I return (mid-afternoon) Nathan is anxious for me to be there.  "N" seems fine when I arrive.  We get ready & head to a Concert by Jami Smith at church since it's Good Friday.  The concert was fabulous & N was on his best behavior.  Reddington was in the Nursery & N sat with us.  He put his head on my shoulder, said "I love you" multiple times, had to be touching me, resting his head on me, etc the entire time.  He was so sweet.  The concert was very good.  It was N's first time in a church & he did a great job.  We were quite impressed! We were thrilled at how well he was doing adjusting to our family & were enjoying "The Honeymoon" stage  - - - which ended abruptly on Saturday afternoon! To be continued . . .

No comments: